I used to be addicted to dairy. It was a shining star in all my meals. Yogurt, cheese, milk you named it… I could imagine my life without any of this products. So the biggest challenge for me when I first tried to go vegan was to say no to my beloved yogurt and fresh cheese.I was not ready and not educated very well about vegan lifestyle, so it was a bit of a struggle. I was dreaming about mouthful of creamy deliciousness on the beginning.
As I am originally from Russia, I am an orthodox as a majority of population. And always wanted to try great fasting that followed by Easter but been intimidated for a long time. But that specific time frame when I decided try it just felt so right so I just went for it. And this was one of the best decisions of my life. Yes it was tough, but just because I didn’t have much knowledge. And I felt so much better after seven weeks were up both physically and emotionally. And funny thing is that my vegan challenge was over so I could buy my yogurt again and I did… I tried it and left it in the fridge. I was done with dairy..
And 2 years later I don’t miss it. What i miss sometimes is mouthful of light and creamy deliciousness. This way all this time I was experimenting with creating good for you non dairy yogurt full of gut friendly probiotics. And it’s finally here. I love it much more then I used to any store-bought yogurt back on the days.
- 30 gr of coconut flakes or cashews
- 3/4 teaspoon of agar agar powder
- 1 tablespoon of coconut nectar or sweeter of your choice
- 500 gr of water
- 1 capsule of strong probiotics
- First of all you need to was your blender with warm soapy water very well so we grow just healthy bacterias and if you don't have very powerful blender I recommend soaking your cashews or coconut for about 2 hours.
- Then combine agar agar and 200 gr of water in a saucepan and bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium and leave to boil for further 5 minutes. After time is up turn off the heat and let it cool till the room temperature
- Meanwhile combine coconut or cashews with sweeter probiotic and remaining 300 gr of water in the blender and blend till completely smooth.
- When water with agar agar is cool enough combine it with your main mixture.
- Cover with a lid and tea towel and let it sit overnight in warm place.
- On the morning it should smell and look like yogurt and tastes pleasantly sour. Small bubbles can form on top its perfectly normal.
- Leave on the fridge to set and then just stir before enjoying.