Making your own bread is a highly satisfying process. It’s just something about seeing how simple flour turns into the dough and then it rises, bakes and fills your home with unbelievable aroma, that makes you wait impatiently, looking through the oven’s door till it finally ready and you can get the warm crusty edge all to yourself…. Oh maybe it just me…
Back to the recipe. It does require a sourdough starter and of course, you can use normal yeast instead but adding starter here instead is so beneficial. it gives more complex, developed flavor and it has so much goodness, like vitamins B and probiotics. I promise you will never regret of taking 25 minutes out of your life to make sourdough starter(maybe even less, after all every day you just have to add tablespoon of water and tablespoon of flour to the jar and that’s all that it takes:)) If you want more detailed post about how to make sourdough starter just let me know as well and I will do that for you!
Now back to this loaf. It’s rapidly become a big hit in our family because of its unique taste and sunny appearance. It’s higher in protein, has anti-inflammatory abilities and makes a great toast! Really addition of turmeric just sky rocked the nutritional profile. Did you know that turmeric is as effective as Prozac in treating depression and can be used as a natural painkiller? And just this bright yellow color alone will make any day brighter:) Requires really little effort in making as well, just some time waiting:) So let’s get started!
- 150 gr rye flour
- 150 gr chickpea flour
- 250 gr water
- 30 gr olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of starter culture
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- On the evening combine 150 gr rye flour, 1 tablespoon of starter culture and 150 gr water.
- cover and let it sit at the room temperature overnight.
- On the morning add the rest of the ingredients, mix till homogenous, transfer in your baking dish(I used silicone so there wasn't any problems to take it out, if using regular dish you may need to grease it with coconut oil) leave to prove for 4-6 hours or till 1,5 bigger then original size.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees and bake it for 15 minutes at this temperature, then lower to 180 and leave it for next 30 minutes.
- After time is up carefully flip the dish, remove the bread and leave to cool slightly before slicing.