Sorry to everyone who dislikes the word moist but this cake is soooo moist and chocolatey it would be a crime not to mention it. Courgette not only helps to bind everything together but adds nutrition and illuminates the need for any oil. I like to add good quality protein powder because I feel that it gives a loaf a good body and structure. My go to is always a pea protein but using brown rice flour is a good option too.
I usually use soy or coconut yoghurt in baking. Soy yoghurt is usually a lot cheaper and coconut will lead to a slightly richer loaf so choose what is better for you:)
Overall this cake has a deep chocolate flavour, melting in your mouth chocolate chips and crunchy hazelnuts! So good especially topped with whipped coconut cream and berries. Everything is better with berries…;)
Chocolate courgette cake
- 200 grams courgette grated
- 100 grams plant based yogurt
- 50 grams nut butter
- 1 flax egg
- 120 grams almond flour
- 70 grams protein powder can substitute for brown rice flour
- 30 grams cacao powder
- 50 grams coconut sugar
- 50 grams chopped hazelnuts
- 50 grams chopped chocolate optional
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Place first four ingredients in the food processor and blend till completely smooth. Add next five and pulse just till they are incorporated.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- By hand stir in chopped hazelnuts and chocolate and baking soda with apple cider. Everything should be well incorporated but make sure to don’t overmix it.
- Place in lined with baking parchment mold and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean