This creamy mushroom vegan pasta sauce is made using a secret high protein ingredient! It’s a delicious, healthy and hurty weeknight meal. That happened to be vegan and gluten-free as well. Additionally, tamari mushrooms add a nice bite to this creamy vegan pasta. Furthermore, not only these mushrooms add a nice texture and flavour but also a good dose of Vitamin D. This is feel-good food, naturally!
Creamy high protein pasta is the ultimate vegan comfort food
There is nothing more comforting than a creamy warm bowl of pasta, especially on a chilly day. Particularly when it is packed with protein and made only with healthy feel-good ingredients. Without a doubt, it is a double win then! You can enjoy perfect vegan comfort food and do right by your body. This creamy vegan pasta is nourishing, tasty, high in vitamins and significantly lower in carbs than your regular spag bowl.
No nuts or cream needed to make the creamy pasta sauce that is as well high in protein
This sauce is so creamy without using double cream or cashews! I wanted to make this pasta nut-free for several reasons. Firstly, some people can have nut allergy which sucks. Secondly, cashews are expensive. And finally, there is a special ingredient that will make the sauce high in protein but much lower in fat and calories. You may have guessed by now what are we using instead of cashews to make this sauce really creamy.
The secret healthy ingredient that we are using here is silken tofu. Ta daaaa:) It will allow us to make this sauce smooth and will add plant-based protein. Again win-win situation
Silken tofu has a very subtle flavour, so it works perfectly as a base to lots of sweet and savoury recipes. Not only silken tofu adds creaminess but as well it helps to bring everything together and creates a nice body for sweet or savoury recipes.
How to get the most flavour out of your cooking and into your creamy pasta sauce
Here I added roasted garlic, garlic powder and nutritional yeast to bring up that delicious cheesy taste and olive oil to add silkiness to the sauce. Then I mixed the sauce with mushrooms in the same pan where the mushrooms were roasting. This is an easy hack on how to get the most out of your cooking. I always try to use the same pan to mix everything together where the veggies were roasting. It will help to get the extra flavour in the sauce from the bottom of the pan where all the mushroom juices always are! And it just brought everything together and made one very delicious plant-based dinner dish (and maybe even better leftover lunch the next day).
How to make this pasta lower in carbs and/or higher in protein
Most of the times I follow a gluten-free diet so I always choose gluten-free pasta when cooking at home. Additionally, we can easily make this dish low carb by using the right macaroni or even zoodles, like here. On other hand, I like making it even higher in plant protein by using chickpea or edamame pasta. There is a huge selection of pasta now available in pretty much any decent size store so take your pick:)
Creamy high protein vegan pasta with mushrooms
- 400 gr of mushrooms
- 200 grams of silken tofu
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp of Italian herbs
- 1 tbsp of tamari
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- salt pepper
- 1/2 a lemon
- 2 servings of cooked pasta
- Add halved mushrooms to the baking dish along with crushed garlic
- Sprinkle Italian herbs over, drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil and tamari and roast in preheated to 180 degrees oven for 20-25 minutes
- Drain the silken tofu and add to the blender or a food processor along with garlic powder, nutritional yeast, 2 tbsp of olive oil. zest from 1/4 a lemon(optional) and lemon juice.
- Peel cooked garlic cloves and add to the blender as well, season with salt and pepper and process till completely smooth
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed or add more lemon juice if desired.
- Reserve some mushrooms for topping
- Add cooked drained pasta to the baking dish with the rest of the mushrooms
- Poured creamy sauce over and stir to combine
- Enjoy straight away or reheat everything together so the sauce gets warm
- Serve topped with reserved mushrooms and sprinkle of fresh herbs if desired.