You only need five simple ingredients to make this creamy vegan basil pasta sauce. It is dairy-free, oil-free absolutely delicious and so easy to make.
You can enjoy this vegan healthy comfort food classic any time of the week. This vegan basil pasta is incredibly creamy and satisfying and only takes 15 minutes to make. In addition, it is fresh and vibrant meal perfect for summer when basil and tomatoes are in season.
My version of the creamy vegan pasta is healthy and made only using whole foods. To make this recipe vegan, dairy-free and oil-free, I used cashews as the main ingredient. When blended with water, cashews form an incredibly creamy base for this sauce. Furthermore, because they have a very mild flavour, it will allow the other ingredients, such as basil, to stand out. I love using brown rice pasta here as well instead of regular. This simple swap keeps the recipe gluten-free, and it is really tasty.
Moreover, this dish comes together in a flash. You only need about fifteen minutes to make this delicious creamy pasta from scratch. As an option, you can make a bigger batch as well and have it for lunch the next day. Personally I think the sauce is even better when it sits for some time and all the flavours have a chance to mingle.
If you want to make it ahead of time you have three options
- Make the big batch of the sauce and when you are ready to enjoy it just cook your pasta and toss everything together.
- To prepare the sauce and keep it separately from the cooked pasta. When you are ready to enjoy just warm up the sauce on the stove or in the microwave and pour it over the pasta. Continue cooking for 30 seconds longer so everything can come together.
- Toss everything the cooked pasta with the sauce. The next day you can simply warm it up in the microwave or sprinkle it with vegan cheese and put it under the grill. It is so good! One thing to keep in mind is that pasta will absorb part of the sauce. To make it really creamy again you may want to add some extra sauce just before serving.
This vegan creamy basil pasta is perfect for weeknight dinners and for easy lunches.
I love to serve this pasta with extra cherry tomatoes as the creaminess of the pasta sauce goes so well with the sweetness of fresh cherry tomatoes.
In case if you want a lighter meal you can make this sauce slightly thinner and use it as a salad dressing. As an option, you can swap pasta with zoodles(noodles made from zucchini) as well. This creamy vegan basil sauce is very versatile and so much tastier and better for you than anything that you can get in the supermarket.
Creamy Vegan Basil Pasta Sauce/oil-free, healthy
- 60 gr brown rice pasta
- 60 gr cashews
- a small handful of basil
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice and lemon zest(optional)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 50-60 gr water
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to the instructions on the back of the pack
- Blend all the ingredients for the sauce till completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust salt, pepper, lemon juice if desired
- Toss cooked pasta in creamy basil sauce and serve with extra basil leaves and cherry tomatoes if desired