This easy vegan tomato sauce for pasta takes under 20 minutes to make. This recipe is plant-based, gluten-free, really tasty and wholesome. You can add it to your favourite pasta or use it to make vegan lasagne.
This vegan tomato sauce comes together in a flash! And it is so much better for you than anything you can get in the supermarket. You only need few very simple ingredients to make. And a big chance that you already have all you need in your pantry.
The ingredients for easy vegan tomato sauce
Let’s start with the star ingredient here, which is tomato! I decided to use cherry tomatoes as they are naturally sweeter and usually more flavourful than a salad tomato. Another significant advantage of using smaller tomatoes is that they will cook faster and you need to do less chopping. But honestly, you can use any tomatoes that you have on your hands it is not a big deal.
As a second ingredient, we have passata. I love using it as it is already well seasoned and has a rounded taste. When choosing a passata in a store, I always look at the ingredients. I make sure that in the ingredients list there are only vegetables are salt listed. We don’t want any hidden nasties.
What kind of tomatoes you can use for homemade vegan tomato sauce
On the other hand, you can use crushed tomatoes or even canned whole tomatoes in brine. If you decide to go with the last option just make sure that you smash them with the back of the wooden spoon to incorporate in the sauce evenly. Of course, you will need to add extra seasonings such as salt, pepper and maybe a little bit of sugar/maple syrup to balance the natural acidity of the tomatoes.
Worth mentioning in case if you have an abundance of fresh tomatoes at the moment(like I do in Russia right now) you can always use fresh tomatoes only. In fact, it will lead to a better more flavourful sauce. Usually, when tomatoes are ripe and juicy they are the sweetest and of course, nothing can beat homegrown produce.
But in reality, sometimes life just gets hectic, and not always we have access to fresh produce. But never the less our body always deserves feel-good healthy food. In times like these, simple hacks like using cherry tomatoes, premade passata and shallot instead of regular onion will cut the cooking time quite a lot. And without a doubt, the final result will be so much more tasteful and better for you than a take out or store-bought tomato sauce(which can have lots of additives as well).
When it comes to herbs, I always use a combination of fresh and dry herbs. It is the most affordable and the easiest option that brings lots of flavour to the final dish. If you don’t have access to the fresh basil, you can use an extra teaspoon of Italian seasonings. But I believe using just a little bit of fresh basil really adds so much flavour and freshness to this easy vegan tomato sauce so I wouldn’t skip it.
Lastly, I wanted to mention that of course, you can serve it easy vegan tomato sauce over pasta as I did here. It is always really delicious and comforting meal. On the other hand, if I crave something lighter it goes great with zoodles(noodles made from zucchini).
This tomato sauce stores well in the fridge for up to 5 days as well or you can freeze it for up to a month.
Easy vegan tomato sauce for pasta/ under 20 minutes
- 200 gr of cherry tomatoes
- 1 shallot
- 1 big clove of garlic
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 cup of passata
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of Italian herbs
- 1 tsp of sugar or agave syrup
- Small bunch of basil
- 2 servings of pasta of your choice I used gluten-free
- Salt black pepper
- Finely chop the carrot and shallot and mince the garlic clove, halve cherry tomatoes.
- In olive oil on medium heat, sauté carrot and onion for a couple of minutes or until the onion starts to brown.
- Add minced garlic and Italian herbs.
- Cook for an extra minute until fragrant
- Add halved cherry tomatoes to the pan with a good pinch of salt and stir everything together.
- Allow it to cook for a couple of minutes on low heat until tomatoes start to release their juices.
- Meanwhile, bring the pot with the salted water to boil and add your pasta in
- To the pan with tomatoes, add a cup of passata, teaspoon of sugar and half a cup of water.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Give it a good stir and cook for about 5 minutes or until tomato sauce reaches your desired consistency
- Turn off the heat, and lastly, add thinly sliced basil
- Drain ready pasta and serve with freshly made tomato sauce