This cake truly meant for a special occasion! It looks impressive and tastes absolutely divine! The best thing that it is refined sugar-free, gluten-free and only made with wholesome ingredients!
Roasting the hazelnuts brings their flavor to completely new level and gives the filling that crunch that compliments so well smooth chocolate frosting.
I made this cake for my birthday and everyone was sure that it wasn’t vegan and definitely couldn’t be considered healthy. Of course, I’m not implying that its as good for you as a salad would be but it still full of vitamins, healthy fats that will make your skin glow and antioxidants that will help you to get through some grey winter days! Believe me, if you make this cake for someone special, that person will be forever grateful:)
Ferrero Roche cake
- 90 grams hazelnuts
- 100 grams rice flour
- 50 grams soft dates
- 150 grams aquafaba liquid after cooking chickpeas
- 30 grams coconut oil
- 1 flax egg
- 1 tsp and 1/2of baking soda
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
For the frosting
- 200 grams silken tofu
- 100 grams melted dark chocolate
- 30 grams soft dates
- 50 grams hazelnut milk or milk of your choice
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- Pinch of salt
- 50 grams chopped roasted hazelnuts optional
- hazelnuts and dark chocolate for decoration optional
- I recommend soaking all the dates beforehand in the plant-based milk that you will use for frosting for 1 hour to overnight this will ensure a smooth blending and will make the milk sweeter.
- Briefly roast your hazelnuts on the frying pan for a few minutes till they pick up some color. After cool enough to handle peel most of the skins off just by rubbing them with your hands or between two clean tea towels.
- Combine 1 tbsp flax meal with 3 tbsp of water or plant-based milk to form an egg and set aside for 15 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Blend hazelnuts with rice flour till the fine flour consistency, stir in baking soda
- Blend dates with coconut oil, apple cider vinegar and flax egg until completely smooth.
- Stir dry ingredients in.
- With an electric whisk whip aquafaba till soft picks consistency and carefully fold in the batter, transfer straight away to your cake tin and bake for 35-45 minutes till bouncing back when you touch it and tooth pick inserted in the centre comes out clean.Leave to cool completely
- When ready to frost blending all the ingredients for the chocolate cream until completely smooth.
- Slice the cake in half and spread 1/3 of the cream, top with roasted hazelnuts and place the other layer on top and finish the frosting with the rest of the cream.