This was my first experience baking hot cross buns and Im so happy with how they turned out.
Soft with a nice crust, sweet glaze in the middle and full of the fragrant orange zest and juicy raisins. I made them using sourdough starter since its so beneficial for your health making all the vitamins and minerals so easily accessible for you body to absorb such as calcium, iron and zinc!
As well it has good bacteria for your gut and in sourdough you can find vitamins B1, B6, B12 and folate.
They are absolutely delicious hot with some strawberry jam spread on top. But I tried them next day with a cashew butter and it was amazing! So if you want Easter themed treat with all the benefits of the healthy lifestyle this one is the way to go!
Hot cross buns
- 100 grams oat flour
- 50 grams rice flour
- 150 grams almond milk
- 30 grams coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 30 grams raisins
- lemon zest from 1 orange
- 1 tbsp sourdough
- 2 tbsp cashew butter +1maple syrup
- First prepare the cross paste by mixing cashew butter with syrup and 2 tbsp almond milk. Set aside.
- To prepare the buns simply put all the ingredients in the bowl and stir well till everything is evenly incorporated.
- Place the dough into your baking tins and make the cross. Let them sit for at least 8 hours but preferably overnight.
- When ready to bake preheat the oven to 180 degrees and place your buns in the oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the turn golden.
- Let them cool slightly before removing from the tins.