I have never tried nutroast before I came to the UK. But since that time (oh my where 7 years have gone) I have eaten a lot of it!
And let me tell you not always it was an explosion of flavour, so I stopped waiting for someone else to sort out my perfect roast and started experimenting. Right now, I have two killer recipes, and this is one of them! I’m so proud to share it!
It’s a perfect main dish for Christmas dinner as it looks so festive and vibrant and uses seasonal veggies and star of the season which is cranberry.
Cranberry actually is a super berry, boosting with nutrients and has a unique sweet and tart flavour. I caramelised it slightly in the oven to bring out the natural sweetness at the same time I roasted root vegetables(no time is water here). It intensified the flavour and worked so well for the texture.
I used very Christmasy Mixed nuts from Waitrose as I love the variety and they all have such a distinctive taste which contributes to the final result. And I was lucky enough to find fresh cranberries as well, but in case they aren’t available to you frozen will work just fine. Don’t forget to defrost them first tho.
And here we have colourful, delicious nut roast, full of chunky vegetables, crunchy nuts and bursting juicy cranberries. It holds together when sliced perfectly so cut yourself a big slice pair it with cranberry sauce or vegan gravy and more roasted veg… At least is what I always do and Happy days, food is good, life
And in my opinion it is as joyful to eat as it is to look at!
Lentil nut roast with cranberries
- 200 grams of red lentils
- 2 cups of veggie stock or water
- 1 carrot
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 raw beetroot
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of dried rosemary or 3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp of dried thyme
- 3 tbsp of milled linseeds
- 100 grams of mixed nuts
- 100 grams of fresh cranberries plus more for decorating if desired
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- Chop all the veggies into byte size pieces(leave the garlic whole with a skin on), drizzle olive oil, sprinkle thyme and rosemary, season with black pepper and sea salt and roast in the preheated to 200 degrees oven for 15 minutes.
- Then remove the tray from the oven, give the veggies a stir
- Drizzle cranberries with maple syrup(double quantity of cranberries and maple syrup if you want to have extra for decorating)
- Add cranberries along with nuts to the tray and roast for 10 minutes further
- Meanwhile combine lentils with veggie stock or salted water, bring to boil and simmer for about 15 minutes or till fully cooked and fluffy
- To put everything together add nuts to the food processor and pulse just till all of them are broken down but there are still large pieces of them
- Add veggies along with peeled garlic and pulse few more times
- Finally add lentils, flax meal and pulse just till everything is incorporated
- Stir cranberries by hand, taste and adjust seasonings if needed
- Pack tightly into lined baking mold, sprinkle with extra nuts if desired and roast for 40-45 minutes in preheated to 180 degrees oven or till golden brown
- Let it cool slightly before cutting into
- Decorate with cranberries.