Low carb Vegan Pesto Zucchini Noodles is a healthy 15-minutes meal
This Low carb Vegan Pesto Zucchini Noodles is a delicious easy meal. It is a perfect healthy alternative to pasta when you are craving something light. Moreover, it takes less than 15 minutes to make and no cooking is involved! Everyone loves this dish because it is so flavourful and so simple to make.
Two main ways to make noodles from zucchini
Making noodles from zucchini or courgette is a really fun easy process as well. Importantly, it takes less than a minute to turn a courgette into a mountain of healthy vegan noodles. I got my spiraliser to make zucchini noodles from Amazon and I think it cost me 3 or 4 pounds. So worth it! But in case if you don’t have a spiraliser you can make zoodles using a vegetable peeler.
Zucchini noodles or zoodles offer a nutritious low-calorie alternative to pasta
I love this easy Vegan Pesto Zucchini Noodles recipe because I always have Pesto sauce on hand:) And pesto and zoodles are certainly match made in heaven. However, Noodles from zucchini or zoodles are a perfect canvas to play around with different sauces and flavour it the way you like. Furthermore, you can create so many pasta-like dishes without extra carbs or calories. Most importantly, it is so nutritious from the start. While zucchini has only 17 calories per 100 grams it has so many benefits such as
- Zucchinis are also a wonderful source of folate, potassium, vitamin A
- It is rich in lutein and zeaxanthin, two antioxidants important for eye health
- Along with vitamin C, zucchini also contains copper which is great to reduce inflammation
- Zucchini is a source of vitamin B6
- It aids the collagen production
- Zucchini also contains both soluble and insoluble fiber which is great for blood cholesterol and keeping your gut healthy
How to boost this Vegan Pesto Zucchini Noodles
As you can see only benefits here! But to make Pesto Zucchini Noodles even more nutritious you can add your favourite veggies or a protein of your choosing as a topping. In particular, grilled vegetables and tofu work beautifully with zoodles. As an idea, you can try to swap Pesto for a Simple tomato sauce if you are fancy. Apart from occasional Zoodles with tomato sauce Pesto Zucchini Noodles are definitely my favourite quick and easy dinner! To add more protein and to make this dish truly satisfying this time I added
- Broad beans and Peas for a plant-based protein boost
- Toasted Spicy pumpkin seeds for a crunch. Moreover, they are really high in Zinc which is great for beautiful skin and overall immunity
- Avocado for added creaminess and as well as a source of Vitamin E
- Basil leaves for extra flavour and added freshness
Cook or no-cook options for Pesto Zucchini Noodles
With these Pesto Zucchini Noodles, you can either cook them briefly in the pan or serve them raw. I always tend to go with the second option. Firstly, it is a faster way:) Secondly, they retain more nutrients this way. Thirdly, I like the texture better!
But surely you can try both options and pick your favourite! If you decide to cook them, what you need to do
Add them to an empty pan on the medium high heat with a pinch of salt.
Cook them for about 30 seconds stirring constantly.
Add a spoonful of pesto and broad beans and stir everything together. You can add a tablespoon of water if needed in order to mix everything properly.
Cook for 30 seconds longer and you are done!
This shows that even if you decide to cook them Vegan Pesto Zucchini Noodles is definitely one of the quickest recipes. And with minimum work, you will have a delicious low carb nutritious dinner in a matter of minutes
If you decide to go with the no-cook option I urge you to let zucchini noodles marinate in pesto for at least 10 minutes! Not only zoodles will have a chance to soften just a little bit but the overall flavours will develop and marry together. As a result, you will get a more balanced and delicious dish. still… super fast:)
Low carb Vegan Pesto Zucchini Noodles/Zoodles
- 1 large courgette
- 100 g broad beans
- 70 g peas
- 30 g pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 lemon(juice and zest)
- handful of basil leaves
- 2 tbsp vegan basil pesto(heaped)
- *if cooking broad beans and peas from frozen Blanch the broad beans in boiling water for 3 minutes, turn off the heat and add frozen peas. Cover and let it sit for 3 minutes more or till peas are completely thawed
- *For toasted pumpkin seeds Heat the dry pan on medium heat and add pumpkin seeds with a pinch of salt and 1/2 tsp of cayenne(optional), toss everything together and fry till fragrant and seeds are starting to pop(about 1 minute), remove from the heat.
- To the bowl add the spiralized courgette(zucchini), followed by broad beans, peas, basil leaves, lemon zest and lemon juice
- Add 2 heaped tablespoons of vegan basil pesto and stir to combine
- Let it marinate for 15 minutes(ideally, but 10 minutes will work as well)
- Taste and add more pesto if desired
- When ready to serve
- Add a portion of zoodles to the bowl Top with half of the avocado, basil leaves and toasted pumpkin seeds