In Russia New Year Is actually bigger than Christmas. It is the most loved holiday by everyone and we do prepare for it well. There is usually lots of food and drinks involved:)
Although I leave in Europe now, I still like to honour this tradition and always prepare a beautiful cake. Any occasion becomes more special with a beautiful and delicious cake made from feel-good ingredients.
This cake is vegan gluten-free and it tastes so festive like a big celebration(of the good food):) It is nutty with lots of warming spices and a thick layer of raspberry jam in the middle. You can use buttercream for the frosting but I have chosen whipped coconut cream which balanced the sharp raspberry layer perfectly.
I used rum and seasonal oranges for brushing the sponges, which helps to keep them moist and gives a different flavour profile. But if you want you can keep this cake alcohol free and add maybe a tablespoon of maple syrup and half a teaspoon of cinnamon to the orange juice prior brushing the sponges.
To decorate this cake I went a straightforward route, I sprinkle it with coconut to imitate the snow and added vegan gluten-free gingerbread stars to the sides of the cake and gingerbread man to the top of this spiced cake. It looks super cute and takes minimal effort:)
Spiced nutty vegan and gluten-free cake
- 100 grams of mixed nuts
- 35 gr of almond flour
- 100 grams of GF flour
- 2 tbsp of pomegranate molasses
- 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of mixed spice
- 80 grams of granulated sugar
- 100 grams of orange juice +zest from an orange
- 100 grams of greek style plant-based yoghurt
- 1 flax egg
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- grams extra 100of orange juice+2-3 tbsp of spiced rum optional
For the cream
- 400 grams of coconut cream
- 40 grams of coconut sugar or stevia blend or to taste
- raspberry jam for layering
- Mix 1 tbsp of flax meal with 3 tbsp of water.
- Set aside
- Mix almond, gluten-free flour, spices, sugar, chopped mixed nuts, orange zest, baking soda
- In another bowl mix yoghurt, orange juice, molasses and flax egg
- Add dry mix to the bowl with liquids
- Transfer to the lined cake tin and bake in preheated to 180 degrees oven for 30-35 minutes or till golden brown and toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean
- While the cake is still warm, make a few holes and brush it with a mix of orange juice and rum
- Leave to cool completely
- Once cool
- Slice the cake in half and add a layer of raspberry jam
- Cover entirely with coconut whipped cream and sprinkle with coconut if desired