Making yogurt at home is definitely the easiest thing ever. For the traditional recipe, you only need 2 main ingredients which are milk and probiotics! And for this particular vegan yogurt is absolutely the same procedure.
Honestly, you can make yogurt from almost any plant-based milk so there is lots of creative freedom!
So far I tried soy, coconut, almond, cashews and they all worked! And today we are starting with soy milk because is the most straight forward recipe and result is great every single time. But please let me know if you want me to share the recipe for any other plant-based yogurt that I named above. They are still super simple just need an extra ingredient to get it super creamy as only soy milk thickens naturally just like cow’s milk.
There are a few things that I learnt after making many many yogurts.
- 1. Always sterilise your pots before you start. The easiest way to do that is clean them with soapy water first, dry them with a tea towel, boil the kettle and carefully pour just-boiled water over your jars, when you can handle them throw away the water and voila now they are sparkling clean
- 2. Use good quality probiotic. I always buy my in the pharmacy and make sure that it is maximum strength and it has different stamps of bacteria. After you did your first batch, you can reserve a couple of tablespoons of ready starter and use it for the next time
- 3. Use a wooden spoon or any utensil to mix your milk and probiotics as metal can interfere with a fermentation
- 4. Keep your yogurt in the warm spot. I usually preheat my oven to 30 degrees, then switch it off and place my yoghurt pot in there to ferment wrapped in a tea towel.
The whole process takes less than 5 minutes and the result is better and tastier than anything that you can get in the store. You will know for sure that it will be packed with gut-loving friendly bacteria and you can regulate how tart you want your yogurt by reducing or increasing fermentation time.
One of my favourite ever breakfasts is simply yogurt with berries and crunchy granola. So quick and easy and so satisfying! But if you are not a fun of original flavour you can mix it up by stirring your favourite protein powder to get en extra boost or you can blend it with any fruits, berries or even oats to create different flavours every single time!
The easiest vegan yogurt
- 600 grams soy milk
- 2 capsules good quality probiotics
- Sterilize your jars and fill them with soy milk
- Open your probiotic capsules and add probiotic powder only
- Stir with a wooden spoon
- Wrap them with a tea towel and place in a warm spot to ferment for 8-16 hours(depending how warm your place is and how tart you want your yogurt)
- Chill completely before enjoying!