Fall vibes… It’s only the second day of autumn but I’m already in the mood for baking lots of autumnal treats and this vegan and gluten-free apple cinnamon cake is absolutely delicious, warming and super easy to make!
I also wanted to show you how to make an apple rose to make it look absolutely stunning! I love making flowers out of fruits as it is simple but such an effective way to add the wow factor to your bakes or even to your breakfast!
To make a rose out of the apple what you need to do is simply cut apple quite thinly(you can use a mandolin or do it by hand) and allow it to steam for a couple of minutes to soften it up. To steam it you can choose from the microwave or you can use an oven while you mix the dough(more instructions are in the recipe itself). Apple slices will become soft and pliable and you can place them on the chopping board overlapping them slightly and carefully roll into an apple rose. I usually don’t use a lot of slices at the beginning and roll them to create a small flower at first because the smaller the flower the easier is to transport it and move it to your cake. Then I add more petals when it is already on top of the cake to create as much volume as I want!
But no matter if you decide to make a rose out of the apple or not this cake is a great way to treat yourself! It has the perfect texture that is not easy to achieve with gluten-free baking. It is moist(sorry for using this word) with a enchanting aroma from cinnamon, crunch from walnuts and the flavour of apple coming through! The best way to celebrate fall and a must-try treat this autumn!
Here is a video to show you exactly how this cake is made and how simple is to make a rose out of apple!
Vegan and Gluten-free Apple Cinnamon cake
- 250 almond milk
- 200 grams of apple sauce
- 3 tbsp of flax meal+6of water
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 100 grams of coconut sugar or stevia blend
- 70 grams of coconut oil
- 150 grams quinoa flour you can use oat
- 120 grams buckwheat flour
- 70 grams of walnuts
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking soda
For Apple rose
- 3 apples for apple roses
- Slice apples thinly and arrange them on the tray preferably in the single-layer
- Place the tray in the cold oven and turn it on choosing 180 degrees as your set temperature
- Allow apple slices to soften while you prepare the dough(but leave them inside the oven for no longer than 10 minutes)
- Squeeze the lemon into almond milk.
- Add it to the bowl along with flax meal, water, apple sauce, melted coconut oil and whisk to combine
- Sprinkle the flour blend, sugar or stevia, cinnamon and baking soda over
- Stir to combine
- Add walnuts and stir few more times just to make sure that walnuts are evenly incorporated
- Transfer the dough to the lined baking tin
- Arrange the apple slices on the manner that is shown in the video(they have to slightly overlap) and roll them into apple rose.
- Repeat with the rest of the apple slices
- Top the cake with prepared apple roses.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or till it starts to release the aroma, the crust turns golden brown colour and toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.