Today I want to share a recipe for super creamy delicious vegan cashew cheese. It is really easy to make vegan cheese at home and I will show you exactly how. You only need five simple ingredients for this recipe and you can easily customise it to your liking as well.
This vegan cashew cheese is creamy, spreadable, slightly tangy and so satisfying! I love to enjoy it with crackers or as an addition to my salads. It’s so delicious.
Optionally, you can coat this vegan cashew cheese in pistachios. Personally I think that it brings this recipe to a new level! On the other hand, you can choose to coat the cheese in your favourite dry herbs or even mix sweet and smoky paprika with a pinch of cayenne for a little kick.
I never miss meat or fish on a plant-based diet but dairy. I do miss it so much. That is when recipes such as this one come in handy. It is an incredibly satisfying process to make your vegan cheese at home. Moreover, when the result is delicious, and it is so much better for you, it is so worth it! And the effort that you have to put in is minimal.
To make your cashew cheese, you need to blend cashews, water and probiotics. Pretty simple right? Then you have to transfer the mixture to the sieve lined with cheesecloth and let it ferment overnight or for the entire 24 hours. The longer it sits, the tangier the taste will get. Keep in mind that during the warmer months, it takes less time for the fermentation process to start. Undoubtedly, I’m a big fan of fermenting cashews first. I know that it does take a little bit more time, but in my opinion, this helps to achieve that cheesy flavour.
Worth mentioning that if you want a firmer cheese, I recommend hanging the cheese wrapped in cheesecloth over the sink for an example. Under the natural weight, the excess liquid will drain leaving you with a denser vegan cheese. Other option would be to put a wooden spoon over a deep bowl and attach the cheesecloth to the spoon.
Alternatively, if you choose to leave it on top of the sieve, you will get softer, more spreadable cheese. It really depends on what texture are you going for!
This vegan cheese is perfect for anyone on the plant-based diet, for people that are trying to go dairy-free or simply like trying new fun recipes. It is excellent for parties or simply to enjoy yourself. As an idea, try adding it to your sandwich for an easy and delicious lunch or simply have it with crackers or veggies for your snack!
Vegan cashew cheese ball coated in pistachios
- 160 grams cashews
- 140 grams water
- 1 tablespoon of liquid probiotic or content of 1 capsule
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 40 gr chopped pistachios or dry herbs such as dill, parsley, green onion
- Blend cashews with 140 gr of water and the content of the probiotic capsule till completely smooth.
- Line the sieve with a double layer of cheesecloth and place it on top of the bowl.
- Pour the cashew mixture over the cheesecloth, cover with a loose corner and let it sit for 24 hours.
- After the time is up remove your cheese, discard any liquid on the bottom of the bowl.
- Mix the cheese with salt and nutritional yeast.
- Cut the square piece from the plastic wrap. Spread the chopped pistachios over it and spoon the cashew mixture on top, bring together corners of the wrap and twist till you form a ball.
- Alternatively, just spread chopped pistachios on the chopping board and spoon the cheese mixture on top. Form the cheese ball with your hands.
- Let it firm up in the fridge preferable overnight.