Today I want to share with you the recipe for this vegan gluten-free vanilla cake filled with delicious homemade strawberry chia jam and light and fluffy coconut whipped cream. This cake is a real gem and this recipe is easy and straightforward. I will walk you through all the steps. Worth mentioning that this cake is not only vegan and gluten-free but refined sugar-free as well.
Vegan gluten-free vanilla cake layers
First of all, let’s start with the cake layers. The vanilla sponge is light yet moist and so easy to make. I will show you the whole process in the video, including the right consistency.
I wanted to keep the video quite short, so I did a shortcut and only used one bowl for this recipe. However, I do recommend the following process
- First, make the flax eggs by combining flax meal and water. You can use chia seeds instead of flax meal here as well.
- Second, mix all the dry ingredients. Sifting the flour will get you the best results here. Worth mentioning that you can use regular flour or an all-purpose gluten-free mix instead of rice flour. Using oat flour could also be an option but it will lead to a dense vanilla sponge
- Third, mix all the wet ingredients for the gluten-free vanilla cake and pour wet ingredients over dry
Following this simple method leads to consistently perfect results. All the ingredients will be evenly incorporated for sure and the cake will rise properly.
Keep in mind that as soon as wet and dry ingredients are combined baking soda will start to work with lemon juice. This process is what makes the cake airy. Therefore to keep as many tiny bubbles inside which will make the cake rise careful NOT TO over mix. Continue stirring just until you no longer see dry ingredients residue. As soon as the cake batter looks smooth transfer it to the baking tin and place it into the preheated oven.
When the cake is done baking it should be golden brown and the toothpick inserted into a centre should come out clean.
Now, if you attempt cutting the vanilla sponge while it is still warm, it WILL get messy. I do recommend chilling the cake in the fridge overnight or for at least 3-4 hours. Doing so will ensure that you will have clean-cut and neat looking layers.
I used homemade strawberry chia jam. I will post a recipe for it asap. It is delicious, takes 5 minutes to make and is refined sugar-free. Without a doubt, you can use your favourite strawberry jam for the recipe if you want to.
Whipped vanilla coconut cream
You can use full-fat natural coconut milk to make the whipped coconut cream. However, I think that using coconut cream is an easier option. No matter if you decide to go with coconut milk or coconut cream to start with the process is exactly the same.
- Firstly, place the can with coconut milk/cream in the fridge so the thick coconut cream can rise to the top.
- Secondly, the day after, carefully remove the can from the fridge without shaking it too much.
- Thirdly, open the can and scoop out the only thick coconut cream from the top leaving coconut water for smoothies or some other recipe.
- Lastly, using an electric whisk, whip the coconut cream till light and fluffy. Add your favourite sweetener and vanilla essence, whisk 1 minute longer, and you are done!
Please note that if you decide to use a dry sweetener such as sugar, I recommend using the icing sugar. Powdered sugar is much quicker to dissolve and will lead to smoother coconut cream. Definitely you can use extra sweetener if you like but keep in mind one thing. The more liquid sweeter you use, the runnier coconut cream will get. My advice here will be that if 2-3 tablespoons of liquid sweetener are not enough for you here to make the coconut cream sweeter, use extra powdered sugar.
Vegan gluten-free vanilla cake with strawberry jam and coconut cream
- 200 gr rice flour
- 120 gr apple sauce
- 140 gr liquid sweetener
- 60 gr neutral oil
- 3 tbsp milled flax meal
- 9 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
For coconut cream
- 1 can whipping coconut cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1-2 tbsp liqiud sweetener
- 350 gr your favourite strawberry jam
- Make flax eggs by mixing flax meal and water together
- Combine all the dry ingredients in one bowl
- Combine all the wet ingredients in a separate bowl
- Pour wet ingredients(including flax eggs) over dry and stir to combine
- Pour cake batter into a prepared cake tin and bake in preheated to 180 degrees oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into a centre comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely before cutting(I usually wait for the next day to do so)
For coconut cream
- Chill coconut cream in the fridge overnight or for at least 2 hours
- Open the can without shaking it too much
- Scoop only thick white coconut cream from the top
- Using an electric whisk whip the coconut cream till fluffy
- Add sweetener and vanilla essence and continue whisking just until incorporated
- Cut the cake
- Top the bottom layer with 2/3 of strawberry jam
- Follow with 1/3 of coconut whipped cream
- Place the layer of vanilla cake on top and top with remaining 1/3 of strawberry jam
- Decorate with remaining coconut cream and edible flowers if desired