Perfectly comforting vegan mushroom stroganoff. It is my take on the classic recipe that I grew up eating using only whole foods. And it is an absolutely delicious dinner that is good for you for so many reasons as a bonus as well.
Delicious creamy sauce and chunky mushrooms with fluffy rice it’s like a hug in the bowl. The sauce is full of flavour and will work beautifully in lots of different dishes so it is a good one to keep on hands. I used tahini to keep this recipe nut-free but try swapping it for cashew butter if you can find it. It will make the sauce extra luscious.
Experimenting with different mushrooms will give you a great variety of taste sensations. Chestnut mushrooms work really well because they are quite meaty. Still, another great option is oyster or even mix of exotic mushrooms that you can tear with your hands instead of chopping and quickly pan fry them separately on the high heat till nicely brown before adding them to a dish. This will lead to a different texture and slightly smoky flavour, which adds that oomph. So there is always room for your imagination 😉
Vegan Mushroom stroganoff
- 400 grams of chestnut mushrooms or any that you like
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup of veggie broth
- 1 cup of unsweetened plant-based milk
- 2 tbsp of tahini
- 1-2 tbsp of nutritional yeast to taste
- 2 tsp of dried thyme
- 1 tbsp tsp of dried parsley or 1of fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp of olive oil salt and pepper to taste
- Saute finely chopped onion and garlic in olive oil till translucent
- Add dried thyme and fry for about 30 seconds longer till fragrant
- Follow with sliced mushrooms and season everything with salt and pepper
- Stir everything together
- Pour veggie broth over, add tahini and stir to combine
- Allow it to simmer for 3-4 minutes and lastly add plant-based milk, nutritional yeast and dried parsley
- Cook till sauce has reduced slightly(about 4 minutes), taste for seasonings and serve straight away.